Wednesday, December 20, 2017

December 10, 2010

Friday, December 10, 2010 His Yoke is Easy I remember my first year of girls' camp when I was learning how to start fires with flint and steel wool. when they taught us how to make a latrine and do all sorts of knots and lashing. We learned how to dig a hole in the ground to collect drinking water from a piece of plastic with a bucket under it, how to cook something using a solar oven, how to make sumac tea. I loved learning that stuff. But there was something that stuck very profoundly in my twelve year old mind. Something a leader said to us while we were in the woods somewhere in Virginia. We were sitting around whittling with our cool red swiss army knives when one of the leaders said, "you young ladies may have to use these skills some day. You just wait, you may have to take your families in the wilderness and you will have to keep them clean, safe, and alive. Everything you are learning here will help you survive." I took these words to heart! My active imagination had me in all sorts of doomsday scenarios caring for a bunch of kids, singing songs, while hiking through the mountains. I decided at that point in my life that I was going to be prepared for anything! Fast forward twenty-two years... nearly two years ago I had a small personal revelation about the future. Just for my family. The words were very clear to me: There is a storm coming are you prepared? Physically, spiritually, temporally? Be prepared! I was taken back by these thoughts that I knew had to be inspired. I wrote them down and dated it. Then, I proceeded to analyze my current station in life and tried to make efforts to eliminate debt, store food and clothing, read scriptures and pray multiple times a day. Not too long after this personal revelation, my husband lost his job. It was made more clear to me that the words that came so clear to me that day in January were truly an admonition to take action. I felt very close to the Lord and waited for his guidance in all my daily comings and goings; He also guided me in how to spend money, how to save money, and of course I relied very heavily on Him for strength and courage to not lose sight of the goal: to make it through this difficult time intact! It was quite difficult, at times, to stay positive and not be discouraged with my husband home looking for work. It was tense at times. My husband has a very deep desire to provide for our family. We sent out resumes daily. In all, I believe we applied for over 500 jobs in a six month period. We were very blessed to find a job in August last year. He has been working extremely hard to keep his job. That means he is rarely home. But we still find tidbits of time to be together and sing in the evenings. We are currently working on some Christmas music that we plan to sing tomorrow at a rest home nearby. Getting back on track... tonight, I remembered my little personal revelation about a "storm". Anyway, some things clicked in my head tonight. I got it! I finally understood the storm thing. There are some very serious issues to ponder right now. A lot of terrible things going on in our country and abroad. I can feel and see negative forces working against those around me. The winds and the waves of this storm seem too much for some to bare. I see people sinking almost daily. They are the people that do not know the Master. They don't know to call to Him when they are up to their necks. I know that He is the answer! I know that "His yoke is easy and His burden is light." If we yoke ourselves to Him and follow Him, He will help bear the weights of our burdens and make the way easier and lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment